English Department General Policies (All Classes)
- Reading & Book Reports: Because reading is a VITAL part of literacy across all subjects, teachers in the English department hold in-class and outside reading very important. All English teachers will require at least two book reports per term. See your teacher for recommended reading lists or guidelines.
- Writing Assignments & Projects: For final drafts of essays and written projects, please type and format in MLA (or other approved style).
- Using the Computers: We recommend that all students use Google Drive to save their work. Although the district and school provide students their own Google account, it is often a good policy to have a back up of all written assignments and projects a drive that can be worked on from home; however, please note that when using Canvas, you need to use your district-provided Google Account.
- Late Work: All English teachers will take late work for one week after the deadline. Honors and Advanced Placement classes can be an exception. See your individual teacher for percentage penalties and policies.
- Absent Work: Students are allowed one week from when they return from an absence, to turn in absent work. Some larger assignments might be exempt from this policy if long-term dates have been advertised and shared with students ahead of time.
- Grading: According to our school policy, teachers will update their grades at least once a week. This may not mean that everything is graded and in the computer, but they will update what they have finished. (English courses often have longer papers, assignments, or projects that take longer than this one week; therefore, please check with your teacher if you have questions or concerns. Also, note that any assignment turned in late takes more time to grade.)
- Cheating and Plagiarism: According to the Student Handbook, "Cheating will not be tolerated. Any student that participates in cheating may receive a zero on that assignment at the teacher’s discretion." See helpful links page for plagiarism checkers.
For other rules and guidelines, see your individual teacher.